Monday, January 28, 2013

My Favorite Scripture Verse

My Favorite Scripture Verse


For I know the thoughts I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:11

For a long time now this has been my favorite verse.  I can't tell you all exactly when it became my favorite scripture, but I just know it is.  This scripture to me is a promise from God to us that he always wants the best for us.  Lets break this verse down and analyze it for a few minutes. 

Lets take the first part "For I know the thoughts I think toward you, saith the Lord".  This part of  chapter 29 verse 11 tells us simply that God knows for exactly what he put us on this earth to do.  God's initial intention when he put us on this earth was to serve Him and glorify Him as our creator and Lord.  Sadly alot of the people in this world think that God should be left out of our schools, our government, and practically every aspect of our daily lives.  That is all the more reason for us Christians to show the light of God and to proclaim His word, miracles, and promises to this lost world.  Another thing that we can say about this verse is that it tells us how omniscient and omnipotent (all seeing and all powerful) our great God is.  I say this because even before He placed each and every one of us on this earth, he knew what every person was supposed to do in his master plan.  Whether people will follow in God's will and do what He has set for them to do is a whole other topic, but I myself as a Christian hope that I try my best to follow in God's will.

Now as we proceed we come to the other half of this verse, "...thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end".  This first part of this half of the verse tells us very straight forward that God wants to do good and keep us from harm.  God will allow things to happen to people to teach them a lesson sometime, but He never wishes harm on someone.  The last part of this half of verse 11 tells us that God wants to give us an expected end, a future.  This goes back to when I was talking about God's plan for our lives.  In this part of the passage God's will and planning comes back into view for me.  I think when it says He will give us an expected end, it means God wants us to prosper and have a good life, but we must follow Him and do his will if we want our lives to be all He wants them to.  Just because we as Christians follow God that doesn't mean that we will never have trials and tribulations, it means the exact opposite.  That doesn't mean that we are to give up when troubles come our way, it just means that we must lift our eyes to God and pray to Him and ask for His help.  When we do pray to Him and ask for His help and guidance, He may not always give us the answer we want, but He will give us His answer.  We must remember that our ways are not God's ways and God's ways are not our ways.

What is your favorite scripture verse?  Please tell me in a comment what it is and why if there is a reason for the verse being your favorite.

Hope everyone enjoys reading my posts and I hope you all have a blessed day!
Thanks for reading! - Col. Andy Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment